I love caffeine but generally eschew coffee. The bitterness of “burned bean water” never really jived with me, and I ratcheted up my caffeine intake from teas, chai, and Cherry Coke. However, I recently found out the following:
- Espresso drinks are amazing.
- You can put milk and flavoring in them to take away the bitter death taste.
Naturally I started with things like Starbucks’ Caramel Macchiato and Caribou’s Caramel High-Rise, because caramel is my kryptonite flavor. Eventually, I started moving away from all the whipped cream and crazy extra sauces and found that I really do love a good latte (albeit with a zap of flavor).
I was recently in Seattle and had some high-powered lattes from Citizen and Cafe Solstice, and have decided to find out where my comparable jolt can come from in the Twin Cities. Naturally, I turned to Twitter:
Yo MSP: where’s your favorite place for a Damn Good Latte in the cities? Having withdrawal after Seattle. #lazyweb
— Amanda C (@amandaesque) January 29, 2014
The locals responded, and I’ve compiled a list of places I will be sampling lattes over the months to come. Hit me up if there’s others I should check out. I know a lot of places make lattes, but I’m looking for THE latte, not just A latte.
- Angry Catfish, 4208 28th Ave S, Mpls
- Blue Ox Coffee Company, 3740 Chicago Ave S, Mpls
- Bull Run Coffee Bar, 3346 Lyndale Ave S, Mpls
- Kopplin’s Coffee, 2038 Marshall Ave, St Paul
- Parka, 4021 E. Lake St, Mpls (also counting this as a trip to Dogwood, since the same folks run it)
- Peace Coffee, 3262 Minnehaha Ave S, Mpls
- Quixotic Coffee, 769 Cleveland Ave S, St Paul
- Spyhouse, 945 Broadway St NE, Mpls
- Swede Hollow Cafe, 725 E 7th, St Paul